Tuesday 11 October 2016

What is Genre?

Genre is a style of film, for example Horror, Sci-Fi or Comedy. There are sub-genres (more precise sub divisions in genre types) and genre tropes (specific story elements). In film, to create something new and to gain a larger audience, you could hybridize two or more genres, for example a Rom-Com (Romance, Comedy).

My three top three Genre preferences would have to be Horror, Action and Comedy. One thing I like about the conventions of horror is the frightening 'unknown' as seen from Conjuring two. Another convention I enjoy from Action is the quick fast paced editing and stunts performed, as I have watched from 'The Dark Knight'. Lastly, the convention I enjoy most from Comedy is the stereotypical narrative, as seen in 'Home Alone' or 'Mean Girls'.

No comments:

Post a Comment